Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Gerringong NSW conversation with a seagull












The middle aged bus driver why are bus drivers always middle-aged although pleasant they are often  bored and uninspired
He instructs the dense passenger (me) that he is travelling in the right direction for me to get to my destination and instructs me on validating before entering the bus I wonder if has ever driven the bus without his trousers o made love in the back seat or even driven with his feet I reached the next town and decided to prematurely disembark Gerringong and he questions my decision with a polite “this isn’t”   I then walk for what seems like ages through the town then the shopping strip . I reach the end of the street I catch sight of the beach at the bottom of the hill. I Walk down a few streets full house that are architecturally identical to those that exist in the suburban  sprawl of any of the capital cities of Australia.  Gone are the  wooden and wooden fibro cement dwellings that some how symbolised the relaxed beach culture of the mid twentieth century.
 On the beach I hear the squeaked chiding of the angry seagulls and their wicked laughing
“Give  those legs some sun and you might be half way  to being one of us.”
   “Why haven’t attempted to swim out to sea and reincarnate as a seagull?”
 Half way up the beach I settle down and take out of my back pack a bread roll, bottle of cold tea  and an apple . Suddenly I look up and realize that they have surrounded me. One immature gull steps forward and addresses me
“Most gulls don’t bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight — how to get from shore to food and back again. For most gulls, it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, though, it was not eating that mattered, but flight. More than anything else, Jonathan Livingston Seagull loved to fly”.
“I can see it in your eyes you remember this pretentious book about a seagull with ocd”
One of the matures shouts down at me
  “You take yourself very seriously don’t you? Insignificant little twit.”
 Immature gull continues to address ignoring the interruption.
“The Names Johnno   named after said seagull of the books fame, But we turned away from the endless training and the goal of  reaching higher and higher states of being and decided to accept our own insignificance and become attuned to the forces that shape our world  .The wind, rain, seas, sun, sky and humanity.”
“We  existed before man’s appearance and we have thrived since his arrival
“There weren’t always as many Silver Gulls as there are now. Since the 1950s, humans have become increasingly wasteful; your rubbish tips are now overflowing and provide us with an ample food supply. With so much food we can have so many more chicks and rear them successfully. Our  Offshore islands that once supported small breeding colonies are now the bird equivalent of surfers paradise,  because we now dominate these breeding islands,  and other birds can no longer breed there. We have learnt, we have reached a higher plain. we have become the avian humans”
Another mature  gull who had  come to close for comfort and was fluffing his feathers to get rid  of a handful of sand that I had thrown at him announced.
“I once ate dead fisherman nose and I ate his lips we have lived we have thrived on your wastefulness stupidity and misfortune. We were at the sinking of many of your great ships including the titanic and the Sydney and we feasted on your misfortune.”
“When this civilisation of yours crumbles we will feast on the  your corpses and breed uncontrollably     and  then when your bodies have gone and you are no longer producing piles of rubbish our we will die and bodies lie  like snow of the seashore”
The immature gull spoke again,
“We a are species who are dependent, You are species who refuses recognise your own interdependence.If you want to live unrealistic haze of self-gratification  while doing nothing to save your  species,   then you are a part of the right species. If you wont to celebrate the coming apocalypse and live for the benefits of the moment then swim out to see and reincarnate as a seagull”    


No comments: